Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Viruses!

"A computer virus is a program or piece of code that is loaded onto your computer without your knowledge and runs against your wishes" (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/V/virus.html). Blue screens, computer malfunctions, programs disappearing, and your antivirus stating that you have a virus are all symptoms that your computer has a virus.

How do these viruses get in your computer you ask? Well, for starters you must have opened some kind of e-mail attachment or instant message, these viruses can be attached as funny images, audio files, video files, and greeting cards."Computer viruses can be hidden in pirated software or in other files or programs that you may download" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/129972). 

 Windows computers have been known to be more susceptible to viruses than Macs. According to Apple.com "a Mac isn’t susceptible to the thousands of viruses plaguing Windows-based computers. That’s thanks to built-in defenses in Mac OS X that keep you safe, without any work on your part."

There are many ways to protect your computer from a virus one of them being obtaining an antivirus program for your computer. Not opening any .DOC, .XLS, .GIF, or .Jpeg attachments from your email or your instant message. According to Best Antivirus software review the best antivirus product is Bitdefender (http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/). 

I've had my share of computer viruses and from my experience they weren't very fun. I once had my computer not turn on entirely! I ended up having to re-install the entire software and losing all of my data. So for what it's worth save yourself the inconvenience and protect your computer.

4 comments:

  1. Erika,
    Thanks for looking up reviews and sharing the "best" (Bitdefender). I've had a few scares as well. Fortunately, I backed up most of my digital photos on an external hard drive. Not that long ago, something happened to my current laptop. It's like it moved all my files so they are still on here...but they are hind to find! I need to get working on that or have someone look at it. Also, when I plugged my external hard drive in, it looked empty! Recently, I discovered all my files were on it but they were "hidden"! Weird! In our book reading this week, it said not to plug things in (flash drive, etc) when there is a virus on the computer because it will infect other media. Thank goodness I didn't really lose all my photos on the external hard drive!

    I didn't know Apple computers are better protected. I guess that's part of the premium you pay up front with the higher purchase prices. Might be worth it in the end...since it costs money and time to keep the protection up.

    Love the virus picture. =)
    Bren H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all of my stuff backed up in a hard drive as well but unfortunately they've been there for quite some years. I initially got my virus by downloading music by using some Firefox plug in...bad idea!

      Delete
  2. Very nice and useful information. I ran into my first virus my sophmore year in college and after narrowly having a heart attack, I learned the true value of having anti-virus software and being more mindful of the sites I visited and the spam emails that I opened. I have been fortunate to not have had this problem since college(knock on wood) and hopefully I won't again.
    I have been wanting to buy a MacBook for quite some time now but the price always brings my desire level down, but now I can see another reason why the prices are higher than other computers. Often times with technology you get what you pay for.
    I wonder if the schools are using this to protect their computers. I know school use filters, but as we all know, the kids are masterminds at finding back doors and creative ways to get to the sites they wan to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find used Macbooks online (ebay mostly), there's also a store here in Orlando called refresh computers that sells used Macbooks at lower prices (I'm looking to purchase one too!). Another thing to keep in mind, DON'T OPEN any facebook links sent to you by message since this will probably end up with a hacked account.

      Delete